Chocolate, Olive Oil, & Rosemary Mousse
By Carter Were
Carter Were has been a culinary crush of ours for sometime now. Her food is effortlessly cool, aspirational and yet approachable. Perhaps you’ve seen a photo of her self-published cult-favorite Carter’s Cookbooks, sharing her delicious life with her growing family in Byron Bay. Lucky for us that she made this unique recipe using our bright extra virgin olive oil along with rosemary for a decadent chocolate mousse.
- Dark chocolate, 150g
- Rosemary, 2 sprigs
- Olive oil, 1/2 cup
- Eggs separated, 4
- Salt, pinch
- Castor sugar, 1/3 cup
- Melt the chocolate in a homemade bain-marie: place a pot with a little water on the stove and fit a heat-proof bowl over the pot. Break the chocolate into the bowl and bring the water to the boil then turn off the heat. The chocolate will continue to melt after the boiling stops. Add the rosemary sprigs and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form and put aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Remove the sprigs of rosemary from the melted chocolate and stir in the olive oil until combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks and fold together.
- Lastly, add the egg whites (1/3 of the whites at a time) and folding well after each addition until the egg whites are fully incorporated.
- Pour the mousse into glass cups or ramekins and put in the fridge to set for 2 hours.
- Serve dusted with cocoa and freshly whipped cream.
Wonder Valley Olive Oil elevates any meal through its bright, herbaceous, peppery flavor and delivers a delicious dose of polyphenols, the powerful antioxidant associated with longevity of life. Our 2022 harvest oil is a blend of Arbequina, Favalosa and Tuscan olives hand-picked from the groves in Lake County, CA and pressed within hours of harvest by a master miller.
Explore More Recipes
Garlicky Tomato Galette
By Spencre McGowan
This recipe combines tomatoes, herbs, garlic and oil for a delicious treat.
Spicy Scallop Wonton Crisp
By Sandy Ho
A juicy and refreshing bite fit for a personal snack or a party appetizer, featuring Wonder Valley Olive Oil, California citrus with a dash of fish sauce.
By Jeffrey Ozawa
This simple, fragrant pasta comes together with just a handful ingredients for a comforting meal at home.
Marinated Ricotta Salata with Cracked Spices
By Alexis DeBoschnek
A perfect snack for hosting on a summer afternoon, this dish comes together with little to no trouble and just a few fresh ingredients.
Brothy Seafood Chowder
By Alison Carroll
The homemade stock makes all the difference in this flavorful, savory, perfectly smooth chowder. Look for a trusted seafood monger who filets and debones the fish themselves. They usually will have plenty of fishbones left over.
Butterflied Chicken with Herbs and Cracked Olives
By Alison Carroll
Butterflying the chicken makes a compact, flat package that's easier to crisp and cook through.