Spicy Scallop Wonton Crisp
Sandita’s World is a colorful and delicious one. We did a digital double take after seeing photos of her vibrant dumplings, a riot of colors and terrazzo-like patterns. Perhaps you’ve been lucky enough to catch one of her pop ups with Woon Kitchen in LA. We’re thrilled to have a recipe from Sandy to share with you.
Green Herb Aoili
- 1 cup loosely packed mixed herbs (such cilantro, scallion, dill and parsley)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup organic grapeseed oil
- Salt to taste
- Combine the herbs, egg yolks, garlic and vinegar in a blender, pulse in 5 second intervals, scraping down the sides. Repeat 4-5 times (don’t worry if this is not completely blended yet!)
- With the blender running on high, add the oil in a slow, steady stream. Continue blending until emulsified and thickened, stopping once to scrape down the sides. Taste and season with salt.
- 1 pack x square Wonton Wrappers (you will just need 6-8 wrappers for this recipe)
- 1 quart of neutral oil for frying
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan to reach 325F.
- Working in batches of 2-3, add wonton wrappers one at a time and fry until crispy and golden.
- Drain wonton crisps on a lined sheet pan and immediately season with salt.
Spicy Scallop Crudo
- 4 jumbo scallops (trimmed, cleaned and diced into 1/3 inch cubes)
- Zest of 1 cara cara orange
- Zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 1 medium meyer lemon, segmented + 2 tbs juice reserved
- 1/2 medium cara cara orange, segmented + 2 tbs juice reserved
- 1/2 medium cocktail grapefruit, segmented + 2 tbs juice reserved
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 habanero, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 serrano finely sliced
- Salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt to your liking. I love using California citrus right now, but if you don't have access to these varieties you can just use regular lemon and orange.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of the green herb aoili onto your wonton crisps, top with Spicy Scallop Crudo and garnish with extra slices of Serrano and citrus segments + fresh herbs of your liking.